Search

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Home Sweet Home

To start things off in this Real Estate blog, I thought I would talk a little bit about my home. My husband and I purchased our first home in 2011. It was a 1910 farmhouse with THE WORKS: white columns, big trees, large windows, two stories...

We had looked at one other house before we decided to put in an offer on "the one". The competition was an older house on about an acre in the woods just outside of town. It was interesting, but there was just nothing "wow" about it, especially in comparison to our 1910 wonder.

Within 30 days of making an offer, we had closed and moved in. It seemed so easy! The only bump in the road was the electric box/breaker. It did not pass inspection, and had to be replaced. Other than that, it was a fast and smooth process. I believe the fact that we were pre-qualified for a specific amount really impacted the ease of our search and close.

One week after we moved in, the pipes clogged up. About $400.00 later, we had it fixed and were back to square one. We love our home, and expect minor problems with a house that age (104 years old), but we definitely learned about the importance of thoroughly checking out a home before it is a done deal.

There are things I wish we had known about buying a home for the first time, but I now am able to use that experience to help others and be prepared for our next purchase.


No comments:

Post a Comment